Horse racing betting has been part of America’s rich gambling history for many generations. The sport dates back to ancient Roman times, where the best thoroughbred races were the source of entertainment for the oligarchs of the time. The popularity of the horse racing betting in the US has transcended the betting establishments to be offered online. Every US gambler wants to bet on horses, but aren’t really sure if it legal in their state.
Betting on horse races is legal in most American states and you can find horse racing sites on the internet as well. You can get free horse racing tips on the next race, along with the latest stats on your favorite picks of the day. Go through our online horse racing betting guide to find out how horse betting works, and sign up to any of our recommended sports betting sites in the USA.
Where Can I Bet on Horse Racing?
What you will find on this Page:
- How to Bet on Horses
- Types of Bets on Horse Races
- Is Online Horse Betting Legal in New Jersey?
- Best Horse Betting Strategy
- Most Popular Horse Races in the US
- Top Sports to Bet on in the US
How to Bet on Horses
Players that are not familiar with how horse betting works, fear not. Our horse betting for dummies guide consists of a step-by-step manual on how to place bets on horses, how to read odds, and the different types of bets that you will come across. The first thing you need to do is to look for a horse racing betting website that not only accepts US players, but is also legit.
- Once you’ve found the site, players must create a horse racing betting account. All you need to do is fill in the required information: standard personal data like your name, physical address, and social security number.
- You will need to fund your account with USD in order to have enough bankroll to bet on horse races. Players have to ensure that the deposit method chosen also allows players to withdraw their winnings.
- Players can proceed to place bets on the races that have top billing as well as attractive jackpot pools. Before choosing the winner of the horse race, you need to know the difference between the types of bets in horse gambling.
Types of Bets on Horse Races
Now that you have an idea of how does horse betting work, you can have a look at the types of horse racing wagers you can choose online. Top US horse betting websites will generally have a split the standard bets from the more exotic horse race bets. Another way of noting the difference in bets is looking at the payout odds they have.
Straight Horse Racing Bets
These types of horse racing bets are traditionally recommended for players that are still beginners, while they are still finding their feet in horse gambling. They do not payout as much, compared to the odds on exotic bets. Straight bets are:
- Win – bettors must pick the winner of the horse race to finish in first place.
- Show – punters must select the first, second, and third place finish horses in the race.
- Place – players must predict the horses that will finish in first and second position.
If you want to make things interesting, you can combine the triple bets Win-Place-Show bet and choose the horses that will land in first, second and/or third position.
These are more intricate bets in horse racing, whereby the risk of losing is much higher than in the standard straight horse racing bets. However, on the occasion where you predict the correct combination of finishes, it will be a big payday. Here are some of the exotic horse race bets that you will find at online racebooks in America:
- Pick – these bets depend on how many picks a player wants to predict in daily double bet races. There will be two consecutive races in which a player can select the placement of third, fourth, fifth or sixth place finishes.
- Exacta – pretty basic; pick the horses to come in first and second place in the corresponding order.
- Trifecta – the bettor must select the winner, runner-up, and third placed horse accurately.
- Superfecta – just as the Trifecta, players must guess the accurate position of first, second, third, and fourth place finish.
- Daily Double Bet – on a day of multiple races, players select the horse that will win two consecutive races.
- Quinella – US bettors must predict the first two horses to cross the finish line in any order.
Is Online Horse Betting Legal in New Jersey?
Yes, online sports betting is legal in New Jersey, and by extension, bets on horses. Betting in New Jersey horse race tracks has always been allowed at land-based bookies. Now players can find horse racing betting app for Android, iPhone, and Blackberry devices. As a result of uncertainty in the legal status of sports bets online, players seek clarity on the current betting legislation. Here’s a list of places that accept online horse betting in the USA:
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Best Horse Betting Strategy
It is important to employ some form of strategy when betting online, in order to increase your chances of winning. There are tons of tipsters on the internet that offer tips and predictions on US horse betting forums. Use these betting tips for horse racing today and start winning.
- There are tons of sites that offer bets on horse races but do not have the most impressive odds. We only recommend the best horse betting websites in the US that provide competitive betting odds.
- Horses that have poll position typically do well in races. Before you place your wager, check which jockeys have been given pole position in the race.
- It is prudent to shop for betting sites that offer bonuses and promotions on horse races. Top US horse racing books offer betting bonuses on the latest horse competitions throughout the calendar year.