The Preakness Stakes is an American annual horse race. The horses that compete in the event are thoroughbreds and are 3 years of age. The event occurs on the third Saturday in May in Baltimore, Maryland. Preakness is the second phase of the Triple Crown and almost sees the Kentucky Derby winner.
The Preakness Stakes is the second gem of the Triple Crown. Historically, the Preakness Stakes ran for two years prior to the inception of the Kentucky Derby. Wagering on the outcome of prestigious horse racing can be tremendously profitable. The Preakness is steeped in excitement, elegance and old money. It is important to bear in mind that the Preakness day begins fairly early and has a 14-horse maximum race program. You can watch the Preakness Stakes live on NBC Sports Network. The event is set two weeks following the Kentucky Derby and then three weeks prior to the Belmont Stakes. It is a Grade 1 race over 1.900 meters on a dirt track. Find a list of top horse racing betting sites in America and start winning today!
Best Preakness Stakes Betting Sites
Preakness Stakes Betting Guide
- Is Gambling on Horse Racing Legal in the United States
- Wagering on the Preakness Stakes
- Top Tips on Wagering on the Preakness Stakes
Is Gambling on Horse Racing Legal in the United States?
You might be wondering if placing online sporting bets in America is legal or illegal. We can completely assure you that it is 100% legal to bet on sports in America and that includes horse racing betting. There is no federal law in the United States that prohibits you from doing so. However, it must be stated that you need to be at least 18 or 21 to bet on sports. The aforementioned is contingent on which state you place your bet. Each state has its own legislation pertaining to online gambling. You must bear in mind that only a small amount of states have actually legalized sports betting. Therefore, US residents will have to wager on betting sites that have an offshore payment facility. Sports betting as 2019 is now legal in eight states with many more states leaning inward to legalizing online gambling.
Wagering on the Preakness Stakes
There are a few types of betting options that the US gambler can wager on the Preakness Stakes. Below we have listed and explained these options. However, you will need to select the best wager for you and your finances when it comes to horse race wagering.
The Straight bets are listed and explained below:
- Winning Wager: in win wagers, you will bet on the horse you think will win the race outright.
- Place Wagers – in this type of wager, the punter wagers on podium finishes. However, it might sound simple but wagering on podium finishes can be taxing.
- Show Wagers – these are wagers on all podium finishes.
Below we have listed and explained the wagers that fall under exotic wagers:
- Exacta Wagers – you will predict who the first two horses will be at the end of the race. You will also wager on the two horse’s exact finishing positions.
- Trifecta Wagers – this is a pari-mutuel wager. Here, you will need to wager on the first three horses in the exact order.
- Superfecta Wagers – in this bet, will need to predict the first four horses in the race.
- Super High Five Wagers – in this exotic wager, you will need to predict the first five horses in the race. They need to be in precise order.
Top Tips on Wagering on the Preakness Stakes
Top betting tips will serve as a handy guideline while you place bets. Below we have included and elucidated some top tips:
- Legitimate Site – finding a legitimate site might seem blatantly obvious but it can be trickier than you think! The internet is flooded with an array of online sportsbooks so you need to be careful. Look for a site that has a good reputation, is verified and has positive reviews.
- Revitalized Horses –You should always do your research and identify which horses have been taken off the race track. This ensures that these horses can rest. Any additional rest can enhance a horse’s performance.
- Identify the Race Measurement –the Preakness Stakes has a race length of 1.900 km. You need to try locate a horse that has the stamina and performance capability to complete a race of this length.
- Check the Weather Forecast – always pay attention to weather forecasts prior to the racing event. Weather can be very influential on the outcome of a racing event.
- Good Bankroll Management – having a good bankroll management system will ensure that you are betting responsibly. You need to manage your money carefully and try to save as much as you can from profits made.
- Fitness Levels – always do a lot of research and see if the horse you have selected is physically fit and meets the fitness levels that are required to compete competitively. It’s important here to thoroughly examine training exercises and past performances.
- Horse Racing Class – all professional horse breeders will tell you that the class of a horse further defines its competition. Find out what class your selected horse is in.
- The Running Panache – there are three defined styles of running in horse racing. Each horse has a different running style and this can actually set the pace of the kind race they have. It is significant to note that horses can alter their running style but they are generally consistent with their style of running.
- Examine the Trainer – find out who the trainer is of the horse you select. Remember that some trainers are better than others.
- Identify the Jockey – a successful jockey needs to have prodigious riding techniques and good judgment. Review a jockey’s statistics prior to placing a wager. Research and examine the jockey’s statistics.
- Mass– make sure your chosen horse meets the weight criteria to participate in the Preakness Stakes.
- Identify Experience Range – it is important to know the experience range of both the chosen horse and its corresponding jockey.
- Create Boundaries – create healthy boundaries where you are aware of your finances and wager responsibly.
- Racing Equipment –it’s important to be aware when it’s the first time a horse is wearing blinkers and the effect it has.
- Have Fun – there are so many tips to remember and there is so much stress selecting the right horse that you might forget to have fun! Sports betting is never going to make you rich so try have some fun along the way.